originally part of training/fundraising for the Hepatitis C Trust's Nepal trek. Now, sporadic musings...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A mission and a half...

Yesterday, when everyone at CAAAD showered me with leaving gifts (calligraphy pen with nibs and ink, an etched tetrahedric hanging lantern and scented tealights for it, luxury chocs), talking about my trek training, one of our volunteers mentioned the coastal path from Lyme to Seaton.

When we're putting our Liquid Jam set together, Crysse says doubtfully that it is an arduous and difficult path; easy to wrench an ankle...
Undeterred, I head for Bridport today determined to at least check it out.
The phenomenal efforts my group have put in on their 'creative practice' stuns me. We make provisional choices for the anthology, and a date for compiling the text.
They give me a beautiful handmade card and a set of three huge mounted, framed photos of wonderful vistas from my coastal meanderings. What a frieze to put on my walls... Of course, I can't contain the overspill of tears...

I spoon my lunch as I'm driving, still profoundly touched by the workshop and the writing and art they produced. And overwhelmed by their appreciation, and their way of illustrating that with my picture.
I arrive at the park and ride in Lyme just as the ride bit is leaving. I grab my boots, change my trousers quickly and run in my stocking feet to the minibus. The driver shows me where my walk begins, and then the parting shot - I must be back by 6.30pm, when the car park gates are locked.
It's 2pm.
It's seven miles to Seaton. No way I can get back on foot in that time - there must be a bus?
I can work it by time - in two hours, if I'm less than half way, I'll turn back. If not, I'll chance a bus.
Off I go...

By 5, I'm in Seaton. WHAT a mish... But just amazing. I might not get any pix on tonight - but I'll post some as soon as I can.
The bus is over an hour late. I have to phone for somebody to unlock the gate. Luckily, they're with me in ten minutes.
Then I take a 20 mile detour trying to get to Frome as the Bruton Road is shut...
So I'm utterly knackered - but I wanna do it again soon - both ways, too!
What a gift...
This seems to be a time of unimaginable gifts.
Heartfelt thank yous to all...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I began blogging during training for a trek in the Himalayas... several lifetimes ago. Currently working on my novel - in the tiny spaces left by a 50 hour plus working week...